Monday, June 1, 2009

Enchilda Casserole

I haven't been doing much cooking lately. It's been so warm and we have to keep the house so hot for the hubby's grandma so I just don't feel like cooking much. The other night I was craving some great Mexican good but we didn't want to eat out again. I was planning on making soft tacos but realized the tortillas were bad, so I went scrounging thru the freezer, fridge and cupboards since I was too lazy to drive the 2 miles to the store. I pulled together an enchilada casserole that was AWESOME! I served it with Spanish rice and our meal was complete! It was an ooey gooey cheesy madness!

Enchilada Casserole


1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb lean ground turkey
about 8 corn tortillas
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
2 15 oz cans enchilada sauce
1 can chopped green chili
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
Olive Oil

In skillet brown ground beef and turkey. In separate skillet, saute onions in oil until tender, add in green chili and saute a few minutes longer. Add to meat mixture. Coat 9 x 13 baking dish pan with non stick spray. Coat bottom of baking dish with a thin layer of enchilada sauce. Line bottom of pan with corn tortillas, tearing them in half as needed. Place a layer of meat mixture on top of tortillas. Spoon enchilada sauce on top of meat mixture layer. Top with shredded cheese. Complete this until baking dish is full. Bake in the oven at 350* for 20 minutes.