Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A little taste of home....

So I was chatting with an old friend the other day from New Mexico & started craving some good green chili. Now, there are plenty of places that make good green chili, but if you want the BEST green chili of your life.... well sorry but you have to make a trip to Northern New Mexico. You will never taste food like this in your entire life! I've gotten pretty good at making my own but I won't lie, it doesn't compare to the chili some of my friends moms made back home. Chili doesn't photograph too well so this posts photo is of me & the peanut hanging at my moms last weekend! Enjoy!!!


Green Chili

1 lb. diced green chili (fresh is best but if you must a lot of supermarkets sell frozen green chili, just don't use the ortegan canned stuff!)
1 large can Swansons Chicken Broth
1 lb. diced pork
15 oz diced tomatos
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
Salt to taste


In large stock pot combine green chili, broth and tomatos. Cover & bring to boil over low heat.


In skillet warm enough olive oil to coat bottom of pan. Add in diced pork. (you can flour meat but I don't like the extra weight flour adds) Season meat as you wish. I typically season with onion salt, pepper & cayenne pepper. Cook thoroughly. Add pork to stock pot. Add more oil to pan and sautee garlic & onions. Add to stock pot as well. Allow chili to cook over low heat for AT LEAST 1 hour. Salt to taste. If you chili is too spicy a dash of sugar during the cooking process will help. The longer the chili cooks the better the flavor.

Chili also freezes really well so I usually double the recipe and freeze half. When you are ready to serve just defrost & warm. You may need to add more chicken broth.