Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Calzones

I had some trouble with making my first calzones. I have made pizza dough plenty of times but I decided to try a new recipe... Big mistake! It took 3 times but my dough finally turned out ( I went back to my KitchenAid Pizza Dough Recipe) & the calzones were a huge hit! I love that everyone could pick all their own fillings and I didn't have to worry about picky eaters.

Pizza Dough
KitchenAid Recipe Book

2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 1/2-3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed bowl. Add salt, olive oil, and 2 1/2 cup flour. Attach bowl and dough hook, turn to speed 2 and mix 1 minute. Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough clings to dough hook and cleans sides of bowl. Knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover, let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour). Punch dough down. Roll out dough for calzones.


Calzones

We didn't have any mozzarella on hand so we used Colby Jack & it turned out just as well. Ingredients are pretty much whatever suits you. I used cheese, bell peppers & sun-dried tomatoes in mine.

1. Roll out dough into a 8 inch circle. Place toppings on 1/2 of dough. Fold dough over & pinch edges over. Brush tops of calzones with 1 egg white & 2 tablespoons of water. If desired sprinkle top of calzones with garlic salt. Bake in oven at 450 degrees for 30 minutes.

Pizza Dipping Sauce
Adapted from http://foodallaputtanesca.blogspot.com/

2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons italian seasoning
1¼ teaspoon hot pepper flakes
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon sugar

Mix all ingredients together in a small saucepan on medium heat until warm. Serve as dipping sauce for calzones.