Thursday, March 19, 2009

Fettuccine Success!!!

I feel triumphant! This was my first attempt at cooking fettuccine, and while I wish I could boast that I made my own pasta.... I wasn't that adventurous last night! Each week I get a email from Betty Crocker with quick & easy meals. Rarely do I try these but this week's looked extremely tasty! And since I love pasta I figured why not! It turned out amazing! Even my husband who hates anything remotely good for him, i.e. veggies, loved it. I served it with homemade bread sticks & it was a simple, fulfilling meal. Enjoy!



Fettuccine with Fennel & Spicy Sausage
Adapted from http://www.bettycrocker.com/


16 oz uncooked fettuccine
1 lb Spicy Italian pork sausage (I used mild so that our daughter could enjoy it as well)
4 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1 medium fennel bulb, diced (I had never cooked or tasted fennel before so I only used half)
1 medium yellow & 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips (I diced mine in hopes D would eat them)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I cheated & used about 2 tsp. minced garlic)
2 cans (28 oz) Muir Glen® organic crushed tomatoes with basil, undrained



Cook and drain pasta as directed on box. Return to saucepan; keep warm. Meanwhile, in 12-inch skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring frequently, until no longer pink. Drain; remove sausage from skillet. In same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, fennel, bell pepper and garlic in oil until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add tomatoes and cooked sausage to vegetables. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.

The recipe calls for you to stir in the pasta, however not knowing how everyone would like the sauce I served them separately. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.