Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Chicken is King

I'm always looking for new ideas for chicken so when I got an email from Betty Crocker Online I had to try this recipe. I tweaked the recipe to fit our tastes. Recipe is below. I ran out of chicken breasts so ended up using chicken thighs instead. They tasted great but didn't look to beautiful so no picture.


Blazing BBQ Sauce & Marinade
From Food Network

I found this to be much to thin for an actual BBQ sauce but worked great as a marinade. It also makes a ton of the marinade so unless you want to keep it in the fridge for future use I would recommend cutting the recipe in half at least. Recipe also says its spicy, which I didn't find. It was mild enough for Chloe. Derek & I love hot food though so I think next time I will add more cayenne pepper.
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons salt
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1
/2 cup wine vinegar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons dry mustard

Wisk all ingredients together.Marinate chicken for at least 2-3 hours prior to serving. The longer the better!

Easy Barbecue Crispy Chicken Melts

6 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup Original Bisquick® mix
1/2teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup milk
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (you can really use any cheese. next time I'm going to use pepper jack)
Cooked Bacon

Heat oven to 425°F. In 13x9-inch pan, place butter. Heat in oven 2 to 3 minutes or until melted. In shallow dish, stir Bisquick mix and pepper. Pour milk into small bowl. Coat chicken with Bisquick mixture, then dip into milk and coat again with Bisquick mixture. Place chicken in pan. . Bake uncovered about 30 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170°F). Spoon BBQ sauce evenly over chicken; top with bacon & then cheese. Put in broiler for approximately 3-5 minutes or just until cheese is melted.

The chicken may not come out looking "pretty" but it tastes amazing!