Saturday, March 21, 2009

Grandma's Amazing Potato Rolls

My Grandma makes the most amazing potato rolls. It's something I look forward to every Thanksgiving or other holiday that we go see them. My mom has tried on countless occasions to make them but failed. I was craving some great bread to go with my stew so I decided to try out the recipe for the first time. I did make one slight change to the recipe but SHHH don't tell grandma! I often add garlic cloves to my potatoes when boiling & thought it would be a nice addition to the rolls so I added it in. What a huge success. After the pizza dough debacle I am feeling redeemed in the dough making department. The rolls got rave reviews from my husband and mother-in-law!!! Always a bonus! (I forgot to take a pictures when they came out of the oven so I will add one later!)

Potato Rolls
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups water (105 to 115 F)
1/2 cup potatoes, mashed
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Boil potatoes and garlic in pot of water until tender. Mash with hand masher.

In large bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast. In small mixing bowl combine warm water, potatoes, butter, sugar and salt. Add to large mixing bowl. Beat with mixer for 30 seconds on low. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in remaining flour with a dough hook (or knead by hand), as needed .Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours. Punch dough down. Turn out on lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Grease baking pan. Shape dough into 24 rolls. Place rolls in prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled in size (about 40 minutes). Bake at 400°F for 16 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.