Friday, March 6, 2009

Ramblings of a Newlywed



So this is my attempt at blogging what life as a newlywed is like. Derek & I have been married since July of 2009 but he returned to finish his deployment 10 days after the wedding. I haven't really felt like I was married until just recently. Derek got home the beginning of February & we are settling into married life. Being married is so different than I thought it would be. I was on my own, made my own rules, lived life according to my own accord for so long that it's odd for me to have someone else who's opinion matters. Chloe & I always did our own thing, no one else to answer to. Discipline was my way, dinner was my way, shopping was definitely my way. While I welcome the addition of another parent, and he truly is a fabulous daddy that Chloe adores, it definitely comes with its own sets of challenges and adjustments. Chloe has learned over the past 5 years that Mommy is the pushover, the one who will give in eventually. But daddy is the one who sticks to what he says, the "tough" one. I think she is adjusting to it much better than me! It's hard to see someone else discipline your child when you've been the only one around consistently for the last 5 years.

I think that I went into things with an unrealistic view of what it truly would be like. Blame it on all those cheesy romance novels I have read over the years! As my husband frequently informs me, real men in real life do not act that way! Not to say that my husband isn't amazing & loving. He is, don't get me wrong. I think I was expecting more .... romance and the whole Norman Rockwell scene. I envisioned this life where Chloe threw no more fits, we had no disagreements & life was one big apple pie. Boy was I wrong. Chloe is still Chloe, and what I'm hoping is normal rambunctious, moody 5-year old behavior. There are certainly disagreements, generally focused around my shopping addiction and my husband's "hermit-like" ways. While I'm not a huge social butterfly I do like to get out of the house, go places, see people. He would be content to sit on the couch & watch movies or play guitar hero every day & night.

It's taking some adjusting, not only to married life but to life when a soldier returns from deployment (but that's an entirely different blog!) but I think I'm starting to get the hang of this "married thing". And call me crazy but I actually enjoy making dinner for our family every night, I enjoy doing the laundry and most of all I love waking up to his arms around me. And because what's a blog without pictures.... here is me & my honey the day he left for his 15 month tour. Pics of the homecoming to be posted soon!